Monday 9 April 2012

Sinful Sunday or why the image really counts....

I grew up in a straight laced environment which was also full of negativity. You know the type of family which compares the achievements and character traits of the children. Well I wasn't the smartest, most athletic or popular of the three of us, but I did have the distinction of being the podgiest.

 Hearing your mother constantly telling you that you are fat makes you believe that you are. At school I was on the edge, not one of the super nerds and very definitely not one of the popular girls. I know that I was slightly overweight, something I seem to have spent most of my life battling with, but I felt that I was also ugly and unfanciable.

That feeling stays with you, as a married woman I still didn't feel attractive. I never wear shorts and rarely go swimming or to the beach. I fear the prickles of all those judgemental eyes burning into my skin.

It wasn't until I met my current partner that some of those body image issues started to take a back seat. He loves the baby belly, 3 pregnancies in 3 years takes a toll. He has an ability to raise my confidence, even after a day with my parents, still being told I am getting fat, he makes me feel 100% woman.

I am a mum, I have 2 girls whom I want to grow confident and secure with themselves. I never want them to feel as bad about themselves as I have.

The Sinful Sunday post was a milestone, for the first time ever I have felt secure enough about my body to allow a lover to take a photo of me naked. More than that I have found the courage to post it online. Sharing myself with strangers. The comments from them have been so much more positive than the jibes I grew up with.

So, to all those who have taken a role in building my confidence, Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment